Tuesday 8 November 2016

Nintendo Console: The FAMICOM (Family Computer/ FC)


 As I said in my introduction post, I started off knowing video games with a Famiclone. As the name implies, the famiclone is actually a clone of an original Nintendo console: the Family Computer or also known as the FAMICOM. This is a console which plays 8-bit video games and was released by Nintendo in 1983.

In the video game console history, this is a part of the 3rd generation of consoles. This console is purely marketed in Japan. In southeast Asia it is marketed by other distributing companies as clones such as Micro Genius, Mastergame, Goodboy etc.

But this is the original thing. Here is the boxed version of Nintendo Famicom that I managed to buy from a local dealer. It costs me RM200 (approximately USD 40) since it is a boxed set.





Here is what it looks like unboxed. A pure beauty.





Here are pointers regarding this console:
  • Although it is the Japanese version of the NES marketed in the US, it plays the 60-pin cartridge instead of the 72-pin cartridge, but the game titles are mostly the same for both consoles
  • You can also buy a converter to allow Famicom (FC) games to be played on the NES, and a different converter to do vice versa


Specifications


  • Video/ Audio : RF (Radio Frequency) output
    • The original one comes with a cable that you need to screw to an old television set and change to a channel 95, but you can just change to a regular RF cable where you plug into the aerial socket of your TV, and search for the channel
    • To search, use manual search instead of auto, the TV will cycle UHF to VHF continuously until it finds the picture
    • RF is however, well known for background noise even when you get a good picture
  • Controllers: 
    • 2 Standard non-detachable controllers connected to the back of the console with a short cable ~ 1 meter each
    • Each controller has an A, B, Start, Select and a Directional-Pad
    • You can store the controllers at the side of the console
  • Extra controller port: 1 extra port at the front of the console for a zapper/ light gun (refer above picture)
    • Remember, the light gun can only be used on a CRT TV (old fat TV)
  • Power supply: 100V AC adaptor
  • Media: 8-bit 60-pin Cartridge
    • The console has a lid which you can close to prevent dust accumulation, and an ejector to remove the cartridge
  • Game Save capabilities: None, but some games provide passwords to save basic achievement like cleared stages
Controller
Here's a picture of the controller for the Famicom, like I described earlier


Game Media
The difference between an 72-pin NES cartridge (left) and a 60-pin Famicom Cartridge (right). My apologies for the bootleg display, hehe.

I don't think I need to enlighten you regarding the cool games both the NES and FC has. Enough to say the 8-bit era was started with these 2 giants. Super Mario Bros, Double Dragon, Contra, Castlevania and a lot of good games were created for these 2 platforms. 

If I'm not mistaken the FC contains around 2000+ titles, but here is the best list I can find in the net
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Family_Computer_games

If you wanna know the History, time of release and all the necessary information regarding the Famicom, here are a few websites I recommend:


Please comment below if you wanna know more, or think I should improve on my blog, or even if you want me to help you find a Famicom.


If you wanna know how does 8-bit games of the Famicom looks like, these are YouTube videos from my favorite sites. I may come up with one of my own videos one of these days, but for now, I'll just share with you my favorites:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhyCDBOY7vw (MetalJesusRocks)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DePjIH1ips (Lord Karnage)
https://www.youtube.com/user/FamicomDojo (Famicom Dojo)

No comments:

Post a Comment